Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Wladimir: "Brewster will lose to Krasniqi"

By Ant Evans: Wladimir Klitschko has predicted an upset in Wednesday night's WBO world heavyweight championship showdown between conqueror Lamon Brewster and German challenger Luan Krasniqi.

'Relentless Lamon' travels to Color Line Arena in Hamburg with the unenviable assignment of fighting a German on the 100th anniversary of German icon Max Schmeling's birthday, and Klitschko believes the WBO belt which he owned from 2000-2003 will change hands once again.

"Krasniqi should win this fight," WBO. No.1 contender Klitschko told SecondsOut. "I know him from my time in Germany and I also fought him twice in the amateurs. I fought him in the World Championships in 1995, when I was 19, at heavyweight not super-heavyweight. Krasniqi beat me on points but a year later I fought him in the semi-final of a championship and I beat him."

Last weekend's points win over Sam Peter earned Klitschko the right to fight the winner of not only Wednesday's showdown but also Saturday's IBF title fight between Chris Byrd (beaten to a pulp by Klitschko in 2000) and DaVarryl Williamson.

He said: "I am in the driver's seat in my career again. I will watch the fights this week, see who wins the titles, and then make a decision (about which direction to go in)."

Brewster, of course, was awarded a fifth round KO win over 'Baby Brother' in April of 2004 when Wladimir bizarrely passed out from exhaustion after dominating the opening four rounds. Usually when a fighter predicts a conqueror will lose it is the result of bitter feelings, you know, 'See, he lost. That proves his win over me was just a fluke.'

But while Wladimir v Krasniqi would be a huge fight in Germany, Klitschko, I sense, would be equally as happy for Brewster to win to set up a revenge mission.

"Krasniqi's weaknesses are on the psychological side," Klitschko, who has been accused of that very weakness, added. "If he can handle the pressure of fighting for the world title on Max Schmeling's birthday then he can outbox Brewster. But, if the pressure, gets to him, he could lose in the middle rounds. But I think Krasniqi should win the fight on points.

He said: "It would be very interesting to get another fight with Lamon Brewster. I have unfinished business with Brewster I want to take care of with him.

"With Brewster, he is 32 and probably cannot change anything in his style. He has to use what he already had, his punch and pressure, and I think his advantages could see him win but I still expect Krasniqi to win this fight."

No comments: