Wednesday, June 15, 2005

SRSG: I cannot imagine a negative assessment of standards

Epoka e Re carries an extensive interview with Kosovo chief administrator Søren Jessen-Petersen. According to the paper, the UNMIK said he would gladly become an advocate for Kosovo’s independence, but he lacks decision-making competencies. ‘According to Resolution 1244, it is my duty to send Kosovo to the start of talks on final status. It is not in my mandate to decide on the status, I have no decision-making competencies on the status. It is impossible not to have personal feelings if you are in touch with the people, but I prefer to keep my feelings to myself,’ said the SRSG.

The paper quotes Jessen-Petersen as saying that noticeable progress has been achieved in all eight standards for Kosovo, but none has been fully achieved. The UNMIK chief also said that Kosovo Albanians should make it possible for Serbs to become part of the society.

No comments: