Monday, September 05, 2005

SRSG statement following President Rugova’s address to the citizens of Kosovo

PRISTINA – Following President Rugova’s announcement today on his health condition, SRSG Søren Jessen-Petersen this afternoon issued the following statement:

“I am very saddened to learn that President Rugova is suffering from lung cancer. I would like to convey my best wishes to President Rugova and to his family, and my sincere hopes for his speedy recovery. I am confident that the President will continue showing the spirit with which he has confronted many difficult situations in the past. Our thoughts are with him and he can count on our full support to help him see this challenging period through.

Meanwhile I also appeal to the citizens of Kosovo to stay united, to remain dignified in their solidarity with the President, and to continue our efforts to move forward and work towards the early achievement of the aspirations that we all – and the President first of all - have for Kosovo, that is, a peaceful, stable, democratic, multi-ethnic and prosperous society.”

No comments: