Friday, May 20, 2005

Jessen-Petersen optimistic about report at Security Council

All dailies cover the return of Kosovo chief administrator Søren Jessen-Petersen from New York yesterday and the statements he made at Pristina Airport. Zëri quotes the SRSG as saying that there is sufficient progress for a comprehensive review of standards. Koha Ditore also reports that Jessen-Petersen hopes his report at the UN Security Council will pave way to a comprehensive review of standards.

‘At the meeting, I will report about the progress and I hope that as a result of the debate that will be held the UN Secretary General will be a position to recommend that a comprehensive review can be launched and to appoint a special envoy,’ the SRSG is quoted as saying. ‘At the UN, both the Secretary General and I believe sufficient progress has been achieved to move on with the comprehensive review, but we will have to wait and see what happens.’

Zëri also reports that Jessen-Petersen has ruled out speculation that he could soon take up the post of UN High Commissioner for Refugees. ‘Let me make it clear: I haven’t applied for another post. I am here to do my job in Kosovo, and I am completely focused on the report at the Security Council and my mandate is to facilitate the process of talks on status.’

No comments: