BELGRADE, April 25, 2006 (AFP) -
Serbia's special war crimes prosecutor indicted on Tuesday a senior policeman and seven other officers for killing ethnic Albanian civilians in Kosovo's 1998-99 conflict, his office said.
Radoslav Mitrovic, the deputy commander of a special police unit, five other acting policemen and two former officers were accused of having killed 48 Kosovo Albanians, all but one of whom were from one family, the office of prosecutor Vladimir Vukcevic said in a statement.
The atrocities took place on March 26, 1999, in the small town of Suva Reka, about 60 kilometres (35 miles) southwest of Kosovo's main city of Pristina, it added.
Among the victims were four babies, 10 children, a pregnant woman and a 100-year-old woman, according to information given at the time of the arrest of the suspects in October last year.
The bodies of the 48 victims were among hundreds of ethnic Albanians found in 2001. They were buried in a grave some 500 kilometres from Kosovo in the Belgrade suburb of Batajnica.
The bodies were moved to Belgrade by Serbian forces during the regime of late Yugoslav leader Slobodan Milosevic, who died in March while being tried at the UN war crimes tribunal for his role in the wars in Kosovo, Bosnia and Croatia.
The remains of some 800 ethnic Albanians killed during the war were found in mass graves across Serbia after the collapse of the Milosevic regime in October 2000.
The indictment is the first concerning the so-called Batajnica case and first against acting Serbian policemen.
The southern Serbian province of Kosovo has been under UN protection since a NATO bombing campaign forced Serbian forces to withdraw in 1999 and end a crackdown against ethnic Albanian separatists.