Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Parliament likely to vote Friday on Ceku's appointment as Kosovo prime minister

PRISTINA, Serbia-Montenegro (AP) - Kosovo's parliament has tentatively agreed to convene Friday to decide whether Lt. Gen. Agim Ceku will become the province's next prime minister, officials said.

The Serbian government, which accuses Ceku of war crimes, has failed in a bid to have the U.N. mission in Kosovo block his appointment. Belgrade says a Ceku administration would endanger ongoing talks on Kosovo's future.

Kosovo's ruling coalition holds a slim majority in the province's assembly, indicating that Ceku's appointment will be approved.

Ceku, 44, sided with Croatia's army in the fight against Serbs during the breakup of Yugoslavia in the early 1990s. Serbian officials have issued an arrest warrant for him, but he denies any wrongdoing.

Kosovo has been a de-facto U.N. protectorate since the end of the 1998-99 war there between ethnic Albanian separatists and Serb forces. Kosovo's ethnic Albanian majority insist on full independence, but Serbs want Belgrade to retain control over it.

2 comments:

Ed said...

Kosova report,

Hi, I don't know where I've been! I'm a real Kosova fan and somehow, even though I write about Kosova regularly on my blog, only just found your blog today.

I went to Kosova (Priština and Prizren) this winter, it was such a great experience and is without doubt home to the friendliest people in the world. I'll be returning in May to see the rest of the country- I can't wait!

Anyway, I put a link to your blog on my one today and will make sure I come here to check things out as often as possible.

Kosova is such a great country and it is now only a matter of months before even Serbia will have to call it a 'country'.

Take care,
Ed

Anonymous said...

"When are serbs going to come to grips with reality?"

dear friend, let me tell you a recent story that may help you get the answer to your question.

I am a student at an university in the U.S. and presently taking a world history class. One of my classmates is a second generation Serb-American. Her grandfather came to the U.S. when he was like 30 or so. Anyhow, she has never even seen Serbia until now (21). Last week she wrote a 10 pg paper on the "Velika Serbia" and how unfair the world has been toward Serbs. This is just unbelievable. Only Serbs are that thick-headed that even America doesn't lighten them up. I guess working as carpenters in the U.S. doesn't help much, but at least watching TV should.
(Just FYI she is known to be a slut in my school - pure serb :))

Best,
Alb